[SATLUG] Day of Reckoning

Jon Mark Allen jm at allensonthe.net
Thu Dec 11 13:49:14 CST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 10:03, Borries Demeler
<demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu> wrote:

>> WMWare. OK, I'll have to learn about that, too.
>
> Andrew,
>
> VMWare is a package that allows you to run Windows underneath Linux.
> There are two ways to do it:
>
> get the free vmware player and run an image of a Windows installation
> (can be any OS, all of win95, win2k, NT, XP, etc. work under VMWare).
> You need to have an image made by someone else. Once you got that,
> you can modify the image and add software of your liking.
>
> The other option is to buy a copy of VMware and make the image yourself.
>
> At any rate, this gives you a full-featured Windows version to run
> underneath of Linux, within a window. And you can install any windows
> software inside this image and use it as if you were running it natively.
>
> I also like VMWare since the image can be simply copied for backup
> somewhere else.
>
> Regards, -Borries
[trim]

>> > For those of us with more complicated taxes, I have been using Intuit's
>> > turbotax under VMWare using my old win2k package. I like being able to
>> > import from my Quickenbooks accounting package and have it autofill the
>> > relevant fields in the Turbotax program. I also don't like to go out and
>> > store my tax info on the web on someone else's server. I have been using
>> > this solution since the times of WABI using win 3.1 (anyone remember this?).
>> > When VMWare became available, I switched.
>> >
>> > -b.

Along the VMware lines, you might also try VirtualBox.  It's an Open
Source alternative (since bought by Sun, but still OSS).  I use it on
a daily basis to run WinXP from within my Linux box.  It's really
quite nice.

--
JM

/* If you haven't found something strange during the day, it hasn't
been much of a day.
-- John A. Wheeler */