[SATLUG] virtual box

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Thu Dec 11 14:23:59 CST 2008

On Thu, Dec 11, 2008 at 2:10 PM, gboswell <gboswell at cis.sac.accd.edu> wrote:

> Jeremy Mann wrote:
>>
>> There is also a trick with VMPlayer that uses an empty disk image file
>> and setting ide0 to an ISO image. This tricks the VMPlayer into
>> booting the ISO image, which then lets you install whatever operating
>> system you want inside the empty disk image.
>>

> Jeremy, is there an article or more complete description of how
> to do this. I have students who really dislike, justifiable, VPC but
> need a virtual environment {Linux or XP}. I have used Virtual Box
> on the Mac with great success but would like to be able to offer
> an alternative free option.

Sure Boz, check this article out:

http://www.ffnn.nl/pages/articles/linux/vmware-player-image-creation.php

Basically its as easy as:

1. download the empty premade disk image (IDE for Windows, SCSI for Linux/BSD)
2. download the vmx template file
3. Edit the vmx file and change memsize to a value
4. Edit the vmx file and change ide1:fileName to the full path of your
downloaded ISO
5. Start VMPlayer with your vmx file
6. Install and enjoy!

--