[SATLUG] Video question

James Tiner jtiner at satx.rr.com
Sat Dec 13 20:44:39 CST 2008

Hey guys, I'm usually just lurking on the list but I have a question
that maybe one of you can answer.

I have all the seasons of Stargate SG-1 and they were encoded for me. I
have the DVDs running around somewhere but these are already done so
I'll use them as my backups. They look great and are about the same
quality I use for TV shows.

My problem is that I use Fuppes as my uPNP server and play them on my
PS3. unfortunately, I don't want to spend all the time to rip and encode
the DVD's myself and would like to make these work. I have tried to
re-encode them but every attempt I have made has doubled the size of the
files and they still don't play on the PS3.

using file on them reports them as the following:
Stargate-SG-1-1x01.avi: RIFF (little-endian) data, AVI, 640 x 360, 23.98
fps, video: DivX 3 Low-Motion, audio: Dolby AC3 (stereo, 48000 Hz)

for tv shows, I usually use mp3 audio but these were done for me so ac3
is fine. also, i usually use xvid4 as the codec and that seems to work
on the PS3 fine. I have tried to re-encode them as xvid4 and other mpeg4
variants but none seem to work on the PS3. I have also tried to change
the fourcc to something different since dv3 is supposed to be MPEG4 and
I thought that if i gave it something to hint it towards the right codec
it might work.

Let me know if you guys can think of anything to point me in the right
direction.