[SATLUG] All the more reason to use Linux

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Tue Dec 16 14:09:00 CST 2008

ed wrote:

> We all know that Linux has /some/ flaws,

Agreed.

> but I've been able to navigate
> several sites with impunity under Ubuntu/Firefox that would give
> Windoze/Idiot Exploder at least severe heartburn if not terminal cancer.
> There are still some Java exploits out there (BlackBox, VerifierBug)
> that can hit a Linux machine,

Like what?  You refer to BlackBox VerifierBug, but from what I can see they're
Windows only

http://www.ca.com/us/securityadvisor/virusinfo/virus.aspx?id=36725
http://www.ca.com/securityadvisor/pest/pest.aspx?id=453078186

 > but a regularly updated Linux version of
> AVG_Free anti-virus readily cures those for me.

Why bother?  If you don't run as root and don't do something else stupid like
put '.' in your PATH, no program can get to your executables to compromise your
system.  I've never run an anti-virus on Linux and have never had a problem.
I've never even heard of a conceptual virus that would run on Linux from a browser.

Oh, yes.  I forgot.  There is the Amish virus.

http://www.geocities.com/ResearchTriangle/Lab/4199/virus.html

   -- Bruce