[SATLUG] Study for RHCE...

skolars skolars at cis.sac.accd.edu
Sat Dec 20 10:43:13 CST 2008

Tweeks wrote:
> On Wednesday 17 December 2008 12:32:11 pm Don Wright wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 17 Dec 2008 04:50:55 -0600, Dennis Myhand <dmyhand at suddenlink.net>
>>
>> wrote:

>>> RHCE is RedHat Certified Engineer
>>>
>> Except in Texas, where using the title "Engineer" is limited to licensees
>> of the Texas Board of Professional Engineers under terms of the Texas
>> Engineering Practice Act. (At least according to the Board.)
>>

> Blah blah blah.. IMHO.. since they've never enforced that stupid law, so it's
> meaningless.  I'm a real engineer (EE) and have never bothered with the
> stupid exam.  I even have "Enginner" on my business cards.  Texas can kiss my
> TAMU bahootey.  I paid my way through A&M.. and they're not getting a dime
> more out of me dammit!  :)
>
> Tweeks

Geesh Tom.  How do you really feel?  (ha ha ha)

Actually, Texas is not the only state with that type of law.  I do not
have "engineer" in my title, but its misuse does bother me sometimes.
Forget the law...I have a hard time with the word engineer in several
titles.  As with many words, engineer can mean more than one thing.  We
normally do not think about it--we simply derive the meaning from the
word's usage in a sentence.  The word engineer could be the driver of a
train (I think of the guy with the pinstripe hat hanging out of the
window of a steam engine--ha ha).  Does the E in MCSE mean engineer as
in: a designer or builder of  military works; a person  who designs,
invents, or contrives; a person who is trained in or follows as a
calling a branch of engineering; a person who is in charge of the
engines of a ship; or a crafty schemer?  He he he...

Merry Christmas,
Steve