[SATLUG] Study for RHCE...

Travis Runty trunty at linuxismybff.com
Mon Dec 22 20:30:34 CST 2008

I believe that certifications are to be taken with a grain of salt, as is a
college degree in many aspects.  Obviously a college degree requires more
work and says a lot about a person but each says very little about a persons
actual work habits and real world experiences.  There are multiple choice
certification tests that seem lame, however, with a RHCE at least you know
the person can do a complete linux install, custom partitioning, software
raid, basic configuration of redhat supported packages (apache, vsftpd,
squid, samba, sendmail/postfix, etc), and general system maintenance.
However, just because a person may have their RHCE this does not mean they
are aware fully aware of best practices or are going to show up to work on
time.  Having a certificate likely does come in handy when a person does not
know you or your skill level, howeve, they atleast have an idea.

my 2 cents, or less... :)

On Mon, Dec 22, 2008 at 8:00 PM, Bruce Dubbs <bruce.dubbs at gmail.com> wrote:

> Tweeks wrote:
>
>  But you're right Steve.. the abuse of the title has really watered down
>> what it means.  I mean when an illegal can get a job as a "Sanitation
>> Engineer", it does kind of make me say "whaaa?".  Whatever.. Titles are bunk
>> anyway.  It's what you have done and what you can DO that's important.
>> MCSE.. just a paper cert.. RHCE.. better (hands on).. but I've still seen
>> some of the worst sys-admins pass the RHCE, and some of the best have
>> problems with the test.  No biggie.  I usually look at experience first..
>> education second, then any certs to round things out.
>>

> There are a lot of credentials around.  Examples are academic degrees and
> certifications (computer, accounting, legal, medical, etc).  The only real
> purpose of these credentials are to introduce someone to another without
> prior knowledge of the person's abilities.  One big issue is the reputation
> of the certificate issuer.  How about a Ph.D. from the University of
> Berkeley?  (Check it out.  It's a fraud.)
>
> Most computer certificates are junk.  You only have to pass a multiple
> guess test or two.  Others like RHCE and Cisco's Network Engineer are a bit
> more rigorous, but that doesn't tell you what the person can do.
>
> In many cases, a certificate can help someone get a job, but it won't help
> them keep it if they have don't get along well with others, don't have a
> good work ethic, and/or don't have real skills that are useful in the
> workplace.
>
>  -- Bruce

Travis Runty
210.391.3949