[SATLUG] Study for RH CE...

Tweeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Mon Dec 22 21:36:45 CST 2008

On Monday 22 December 2008 08:30:34 pm Travis Runty wrote:
> I believe that certifications are to be taken with a grain of salt, as is a
> college degree in many aspects.  Obviously a college degree requires more
> work and says a lot about a person but each says very little about a
> persons actual work habits and real world experiences.

Very true.

> There are multiple
> choice certification tests that seem lame, however, with a RHCE at least
> you know the person can do a complete linux install, custom partitioning,
> software raid, basic configuration of redhat supported packages (apache,
> vsftpd, squid, samba, sendmail/postfix, etc), and general system
> maintenance. However, just because a person may have their RHCE this does
> not mean they are aware fully aware of best practices or are going to show
> up to work on time.

Bingo.. This is why I always look at experience first.  If I see a job hopper
pattern... (for whatever reason).. watch out.

> Having a certificate likely does come in handy when a
> person does not know you or your skill level, howeve, they atleast have an
> idea.

But others are right.. even with the upper level Cisco and RHCx exams, that
validates some of the technical holes.  It doesn't tell you about "the
person" or how they are to work with. Or if they're going to show up on time,
or piss off one of your customers.

> my 2 cents, or less... :)

With mine.. that's 4. :)

Tweeks