[SATLUG] What does engineer mean in the State of Texas?

D Villarreal dvprogs at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 09:27:18 CST 2008

At least in respect to structural/civil engineering, in the great State of
Texas, someone who passes the appropriate engineering exam is entitled to
call himself an engineer and may use an official stamp.

Some might say that a "real" engineer is someone with the training and
experience... but then such an individual still could not file a drawing
without having an engineer's stamp, so an individual with the authority to
use said stamp would have to then vouch for the other individual's work.

I have my primary training in languages and the most often-asked questions I
receive have to do with fluency and the "why"?

Does having a bachelor's degree in a particular language ["liberal arts"
field] make one a linguist ?

I'd like to see an engineering contest where the winner is the one who can
best replicate the Great Pyramid of Giza [to scale], or even explain how it
was done authoritatively. Extra points as to explaining the water-weathering
patterns on the Sphinx.

have fun,
Daniel Villarreal

----quote start-----------
> >RHCE is RedHat Certified Engineer
>
> Except in Texas, where using the title "Engineer" is limited to licensees
> of the Texas Board of Professional Engineers under terms of the Texas
> Engineering Practice Act. (At least according to the Board.)

Blah blah blah.. IMHO.. since they've never enforced that stupid law, so
it's
meaningless.  I'm a real engineer (EE) and have never bothered with the
stupid exam.  I even have "Enginner" on my business cards.  Texas can kiss
my
TAMU bahootey.  I paid my way through A&M.. and they're not getting a dime
more out of me dammit!  :)

Tweeks