[SATLUG] What does engineer mean in the State of Texas?

Dennis Myhand dmyhand at suddenlink.net
Wed Dec 24 10:19:18 CST 2008

Nate Turnage wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 24, 2008 at 9:27 AM, D Villarreal <dvprogs at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> I'd like to see an engineering contest where the winner is the one who can
>> best replicate the Great Pyramid of Giza [to scale], or even explain how it
>> was done authoritatively.
>

> Hundreds of very intelligent people have long debated the hows and whys and
> whats of the Great Pyramid in Giza and nothing has been decided
> authoritatively through that discourse, so I don't think an engineering
> competition in San Antonio is going to unravel that mystery either. I think
> a student engineering competition might be cool to do in this city to see
> how far kids can get into these subjects, though.
>

> ~Nate

At dna High School, in Edna, TX., one of the most popular
extra-curricular activities is the Science Olympiad, which has robot
design and fabrication as a major part.  Last year, the Edna Cowbotics
The Edna sports teams are the cowboy/cowgirls) home grown robot placed
second behind two 5A schools from the Houston area.  They bought their
robots.  We built ours from scratch.  Just wait 'til next year!  There
are some students ready for your engineering competition.  Let us know
when and where!  Peace, Dennis