[SATLUG] Printing Mystery Might be OT** RESOLVED

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Thu Dec 25 23:14:08 CST 2008

Borries Demeler wrote:
>> My first ? is why did the printer command reboot my entire machine.
>> Second if I duplicate this failure where do I look for clues about why
>> the failure panicked the OS?? What CLI code do I use? I apologize for
>> the verbosity but it's a full story and why I can't do much with Google.
>> I hope at least the story is interesting.
>>

>> The rig is a P-4 with AMD 1.8CPU, 1.4G-SDRAM266 80G HD Printer is
>> Brother-2140 Laser, near new. OS is Server Ubuntu 8.04 fully updated
>> using CUPS and the driver was automatically installed when the printer
>> was detected by the sys USB, Has printed perfectly with no prior problems.
>>

>> Background here is my friend/neighbor and I share research interest in
>> sustainable farming and her Win-XP got zapped and so she asked if i
>> would copy my file for her since I have a portable 60G HD on a USB box
>> so I copied all the manuals/.pdf files and took it to her and they
>> loaded off fine. So she tried to load a new E-book she acquired from the
>> CD to my HD but it refused to copy, no complaint just ignoring the copy
>> command ala-Windows, anyway, I said I would just copy directly from the
>> disk and return it. That worked fine and I don't recall any problem at
>> the time, the file is sitting on this rig now. I returned the CD. My
>> friend knew that I had just bought the new Laser printer and ask if I
>> would print the book for her and she would pay for paper and ink. The
>> following error sequence and my wriggles occurred.
>>

>> This book title is "The Complete Book of Self-Sufficiency" it's filled
>> with illustrations on a .PDF file so I opened it with Ubuntu 8.04
>> Document Viewer and since book is 258 8x11 pages decided to print it on
>> both side of the paper. I ran the even pages first and it printed all
>> the pages great.
>>

>> I let the paper cool for a bit then fed the stack back in for the odd
>> pages and was fine until I got a paper jam at pg 247 so final good page
>> was 246. so all I needed was to redo those final 6 sheets I removed the
>> jam printed a test page and reset the print to print just the evens and
>> clicked print and got a OS crash. Total reboot.
>>

>> Now thinking I had just printed OK test page ??? I tried printing from
>> another file worked fine 100%, then selected single pg from the book,
>> got booted. I remembered reading where someone had put a copy-write
>> program embedded into the CD that punished somewhat like that, and that
>> the workroun was to copy the file giving it a new name.
>>

>> So I copied to diff dir and selected the 6 even pages and voila it
>> printed them but when I turned the stack over to print odd 6 it printed
>> 1 sheet and stopped and when I tried to restart printing, got booted. I
>> renamed the file asked again for single pg., got booted.
>>

>> LOL ... I gave the slightly short book to my friend but I do want to
>> retry to print those missing pages and to capture why the sys boot is
>> happening. Can someone please guide me in my effort? I am ready to copy
> [...]

Well I carefully prepared to capture data that would answer my 2
questions and they are ... ta tah .. pilot error and pilot error. I just
printed the entire book with no problems. Before printing I decided to
read Cups for this new Brother HL- 2140 and found the setup to be diff
from the old HL-720 and I made those changes. I am going to accept that
as my error and I apologize for wasting your time along with lots of mine.

I did learn some stuff and I am going to try the file conversion to see
if that would be a better way to go since I would be able to reformat a
doc easier than most .PDF will allow.
Thanks
herb