[SATLUG] What does engineer mean in the State of Texas?

D Villarreal dvprogs at gmail.com
Sun Dec 28 12:07:34 CST 2008

I once got into a "discussion" with a "teacher" when I referred to myself a
teacher, and he became upset, stating that unless I had the teaching
certificate, I was not entitled to call myself a teacher. There's nothing
like helping people learn and to figuratively see the light bulb go on over
their heads, so what I did up to that point and continued to do afterwards
until I parted company with the school system was the same, but after that
"discussion" I just labeled it differently, more precisely, an instructor.

Al, you of all people should know that I'm not a martinet. I don't consider
it bad to strive for precision. I'm trying to teach my son to speak English
properly, and I figure good speech habits start at home. He's just a little
over three years old. I really don't like him watching certain tv shows,
such as Dora the Explorer because that is encouraging code-switching, in my
opinion. It doesn't bother me as much as it did before, but I don't want my
son speaking bastardized Spanish and English. Perhaps it doesn't matter,
because we don't associate with any Spanish speakers anyway, even if there
were any around here.

regards,
Daniel Villarreal