[SATLUG] OT - microsoft pay as you go......................

Don Wright satlug at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 29 20:11:31 CST 2008

On Mon, 29 Dec 2008 17:16:36 -0600, "Sean I" <siffland at nerdshack.com> wrote:

>http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20081229-microsoft-patents-granular-approach-to-computer-leasing.html
>
>i dunno why it is so funny, yeah i cant do the math if it is more cost
>effective.  But i have to tell you, i have never really had a pay as
>you go service that was cheap.....

The linked story on their PAYG patent application doesn't go far enough.
Let's not forget that every new release of Microsoft software (and, to be
honest, they're not alone) has required more computer power for the base
configuration. Now that MS will get paid extra for letting you use more RAM,
more CPU, more Graphics features, etc., you can be certain their apps will
consume more resources each month, until you're paying the maximum for the
same performance that started out looking so cost-effective. And since
you'll be locked in to _their_ upgrade cycle, there will be no way to refuse
Vista II that slows your system to a crawl unless you pay for
super-premium-uber-gamer speed.

And then they'll take a tip from the cable company and raise rates "because
we now include more performance in the basic package".

Don't forget that your search will be MSN and nobody else, because using any
software or services not provided by MS is forbidden as "circumvention".
Wave bye-bye to Google/Yahoo/Ask unless they agree to let MS set their rates
-- plus take a piece of the action. Pretty much any non-MS company will be
locked out of their previous market unless they pay the Danegeld. (Look it
up, while you still can.) Think China has a repressive censorship policy?
Wait until Ballmer is in charge - no more stories about BSoD, on penalty of
becoming a non-person.

And of course they will rent you storage for all your documents - which will
magically not be accessible by any non-MS apps, because they can't guarantee
security.

"I owe my soul to the company store." (Sixteen Tons)

Want to switch back to pay-up-front? No longer possible! Al Gore's
Greenhouse Act requires all computers to have remote energy management so he
can 'turn down your thermostat' to save the planet - and that's only
available in MS PAYG.

Huxley and Orwell were optimists.
  --Don "We've been there - Look it up!"

--
MS Windows: The great crippler of young computers.