[SATLUG] Scanners

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Tue Dec 30 07:00:45 CST 2008

> Can anyone recommend a scanner for use in Linux.  My needs are relatively
> modest.  I do not need a sheet feeder.  I would like to be able to scan an
> occasional 8 1/2 x 11 sheet and some photos and slides.  Overall use would be
> considered light.
>
>    -- Bruce

Bruce,

I have a SCSI slide/negative scanner (Nikon LS-1000 film scanner) you can
feed individual mounted slides or a film holder with uncut negatives into.
You are welcome to borrow it.  For flatbed scanning I had really good
luck with my epson C82 scsi/USB scanner. Worked out of the box in Linux
under both USB and SCSI when I got it back in 2003. It still works
great like on the first day, and I use it on an almost daily basis to
keep electronic records of all my receipts.  Sometimes I wished I had
a sheet feeder, so if it isn't too much more get that. If you have the
deskspace, get one big enough so it can handle legal sized documents. I
think pretty much any scanner that supports USB 2.0 should be compatible
under Linux. If in doubt, check the SANE scanner library:

http://www.sane-project.org/cgi-bin/driver.pl

For scanning, you can plug in the scanner xsane device in GIMP and use
it to handle your scanning via XSANE for excellent results.

-borries