[SATLUG] concerning DVD archiving and Mythtv

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Tue Dec 30 19:25:00 CST 2008

Todd W. Bucy wrote:
> in the last few months I have noticed that it has become increasing
> difficult to copy to hard drive (for personal archival purposes of
> course) some newer movies.  This is especially true for movies
> released by that Rat from Florida. To be clear I am not attempting to
> transcode but am doing a ISO copy of the entire DVD.  Furthermore I
> know that this works on my system as I just copied Horton Hears a Who
> (a twentieth century fox release) however when I tried to do a copy of
> Wall-E (released by the Rat and Pixar).  Has anyone else had such
> difficulties with Disney movies? if so is there a way around this issue?
>
> thanks in advance
> Todd
I did a little digging around and found that this was an issue back in
in 2005 but have not found any recent posts or articals refering to the
problem.  Furthermore most of the problems seem to be associated with
DVD rippers on M$.  (no big surprise there) I have yet to find any info
on problems with ripping the Rat's DVDs on Linux distros.  Like I said
above, I have only noticed this in the last few months with the latest
of the Rat's releases.  Releases before this summer do not seem to have
this problem.

Todd

Todd