[SATLUG] concerning DVD archiving and Mythtv

Todd W. Bucy toddwbucy at grandecom.net
Wed Dec 31 01:15:50 CST 2008

Charles Hogan wrote:
> Todd W. Bucy wrote:
>>> in the last few months I have noticed that it has become increasing
>>> difficult to copy to hard drive (for personal archival purposes of
>>> course) some newer movies.  This is especially true for movies
>>> released by that Rat from Florida. To be clear I am not attempting
>>> to transcode but am doing a ISO copy of the entire DVD.  Furthermore
>>> I know that this works on my system as I just copied Horton Hears a
>>> Who (a twentieth century fox release) however when I tried to do a
>>> copy of Wall-E (released by the Rat and Pixar).  Has anyone else had
>>> such difficulties with Disney movies? if so is there a way around
>>> this issue?
>>>
>>> thanks in advance
>>> Todd
>> I did a little digging around and found that this was an issue back
>> in in 2005 but have not found any recent posts or articals refering
>> to the problem.  Furthermore most of the problems seem to be
>> associated with DVD rippers on M$.  (no big surprise there) I have
>> yet to find any info on problems with ripping the Rat's DVDs on Linux
>> distros.  Like I said above, I have only noticed this in the last few
>> months with the latest of the Rat's releases.  Releases before this
>> summer do not seem to have this problem.
>>
>> Todd
>>
>> Todd
>
> How are you trying to create the iso?  Are you using dd, or something
> else?
I am using the import DVD function within mythtv.  the quality that i am
asking for is ISO quality, which basically copies the whole DVD to hard
drive.  I know that there is nothing wrong with Mythtv itself as I was
able to do this with several of my older DVD's as well as the new 20th
Century Fox release of Horton Hears a Who (my kids love it).  However
when I tried to do the same with Wall-E (released by the Rat) it would
attempt  to copy the DVD but then would drop after about a minute or
so.  Like I said earlier this is something that I have noticed with the
newer Disney releases (Cars and Toystory copied just fine).  I was
basically wondering if anyone else has experienced this with Disney
movies or if anyone has heard if The Rat had changed up the CP.