[SATLUG] OT - microsoft pay as you go......................

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Wed Dec 31 14:13:01 CST 2008

On Wed, Dec 31, 2008 at 9:51 AM, Enrique Sanchez Vela
<esanchezvela at yahoo.com> wrote:

> --- On Mon, 12/29/08, Henry Pugsley <henry.pugsley at gmail.com> wrote:
>> of the OS.  But if you pick up a version of Windows that
>> costs nearly
>> nothing on the front-end but you need to pay $0.80 for
>> every hour you
>> browse the Internet, you are stuck forever.  And you may as
>> well
>> upgrade to the new version when it comes out because
>> you're stuck
>> paying for it anyway.  Kind of fitting that this is coming
>> out just as
>> Microsoft is trying to kill off XP but can't because
>> there is no
>> viable alternative for their users.
>>

> Well, Dell is charging 150 bucks if you select XP over Vista. guess there is only one way to go...Linux.
>
> regards,
> esv

That is simply to discourage people from using XP because Microsoft is
trying to end support for the product.  At a certain point the cost of
using XP will be too high, so people will just have to suck it up and
upgrade.  Imagine you are running a company and need to order 500 new
Dell computers.  That $150 is suddenly $75,000, which will raise a lot
of questions from the money people.  The accountants will ask "Why are
we paying $75k extra for an old OS?  Will it really be that hard to
make all our stuff work with Vista?"  If the IT guy can outline how it
will cost more than $75k to update and rebuild all their applications
to work with Vista then they might win the battle and get XP.  This is
only a temporary win, as when support for XP finally does end, you
still have to face the prospect of refitting all of your applications.
 And you may not win anyway, because writing a check for $75k doesn't
look the same on the books as wasting $75k of administrator and
developer time.

Pay as you go would make this even easier to encourage upgrades.
Right now you can keep going without security updates, but with pay as
you go, Microsoft would have the option of upping your hourly rate or
simply shutting down your OS if you don't upgrade.  I imagine you
would end up paying a lot more than $150 to keep XP even if the hourly
rate is increased by only a few cents.

-Henry