[SATLUG] DVD not play, broken Volume Control

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Wed Dec 31 19:11:36 CST 2008

2008-12-31 06:44:37 PM Hmmmm well I finally managed to screw my Linux
(Ubuntu 8.04) up Here is what happened so maybe someone can fix me... I
got the DVD of the Orig Matrix by WarnerBros for a Christmas present but
it would not play like the only other DVD I have (M.M.s Fahrenheit 911)
I just not into movies (last movie I went to see was Jurassic Park) but
always wanted to see Matrix. I tried every one of the 5 or 6 players
that was in the Ubuntu install apps and I then decided to remove all of
them and reinstall just mplayer/Totem and the VLC that I use for
streaming audio. Both of them work fine but still after reinstallation
refuse to play this dvd. I don't want to learn how to make a movie or
copy it ... I just want to watch this brand new was in sealed pack disk.

So now I still can watch You tube and news vids and listen to KPIG & few
other radio streams but the main volume control. in the apps menu is now
inoperative it says: Error, 'failed to execute child process
"gnome-volume-control" (no such file of directory). Also now the sound
is missing completely from Chat client 'Pidgin' How can I fix this please?
Thanks,
 herb