[SATLUG] OFF TOPIC: "Say No to Photo-ID" for Cred Card purchases...

Tom Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Fri Feb 1 01:11:28 CST 2008

Please take future replies off list...

On Thursday 31 January 2008 21:48:48 Brian Lewis wrote:
[...]
> On the note of privacy and freedom, your free to refuse to show your
> I'd just as any company or gender is free to refuse you service for if
> you don't abide by their rules.

Actually Brian.. you're wrong.  Their use of the Visa/MC system is a privilege
that Visa/MC can refuse for breaking THEIR rules.  And it's clearly stated on
both Visa and MC's sites that it's illegal for vendors to require secondary
identification other than the card.

> Freedom is a door that swings both
> ways :)

Don't let it hit you in the a** on the way out Brian. ;)

On Thursday 31 January 2008 "John Chalinder" wrote:
> I, too, write "Check photo ID' in the signature space. The last thing
> I need is some thief trying to steal my ID by simply forging my sig.

And that's YOUR right to delegate authentication authority.  What I'm saying
is that vendors are taking that right away from you by them requiring it
without your permission.

I'll answer other realted discussions off list (since this is off topic, and I
did not intend to start a list storm here).

Tweeks