[SATLUG] Re: Linux Support Needed in Bandera

Damian Smith damian at suseroot.com
Fri Feb 1 09:56:31 CST 2008

 > Damian wrote:
 >
 >> > Hello,
 >> > I've been reading this list for over a year, but have never
posted.  I
 >> > work for a small company up in Bandera and am the resident geek,
so some
 >> > of my duties include troubleshooting hardware problems and
maintaining
 >> > the network.  Right now we have two windows desktops, two Linux
 >> > desktops, a headless Linux machine used for backups and serving
scanning
 >> > and printing to the large Xerox.  There are a few printers
attached to
 >> > some machines on the wired network.  The Linux machines are all
running
 >> > Kubuntu.
 >> >
 >> > Anyway, I'm moving to Houston and I don't know of anybody up here
with
 >> > Linux skills that can handle basic IT maintenance duties.  The
company
 >> > doesn't need a whole lot of help, but the people in the office aren't
 >> > very tech-savvy, so what seem like simple problems to us can ruin
their
 >> > day.
 >> >
 >> > They can pay between $25 and $50 an hour depending on the person's
 >> > experience.  If you're just a regular Linux user and you can also
 >> > support the Windows machines and network, you are plenty
qualified.  If
 >> > you're a pro, you can request something closer to the $50/hour.  I'd
 >> > imagine they might need a few hours of work per month.
 >> >
 >> > It's a very laid-back atmosphere and the people are great.  If
anyone is
 >> > interested, or knows someone who might be, please let me know.
I'm just
 >> > worried because I finally got them to embrace Linux, Firefox,
 >> > Thunderbird, OpenOffice, etc. and I don't want to leave them
unsupported
 >> > regretting their decision.
 >> >
 >> > Thanks!
 >> >
 >> > -Damian
 >>

 > I am interested but the problem is that I live in Marion which is about
 > 2 hours from Bandera.  And I also just started a new job on nightshift
 > so I would probably only be able to get out there on maybe a Saturday or
 > Sunday.  What kind of problems do they usually have?
 >
 > Sam

Hi Sam.  While they wouldn't need same-day response, I think they would
need it on weekdays.  Sometimes they'll accidentally change a setting in
Thunderbird and wonder why they can't send emails.  Maybe a PSU dies and
they can't figure out why the computer isn't working.  They may need
help ordering and installing a new monitor.  Maybe they need to restore
a QuickBooks backup and don't know how to do it.

Simple stuff.  They don't need a superhero, just someone who is
flexible, honest, and can use the google when the going gets tough.

Thanks!

(PS: I sent this once from an email alias and I don't think it went
through, sorry if it goes twice)

-Damian