[SATLUG] Re: Linux Support Needed in Bandera

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Fri Feb 1 10:09:29 CST 2008

> Hi Sam.  While they wouldn't need same-day response, I think they would
> need it on weekdays.  Sometimes they'll accidentally change a setting in
> Thunderbird and wonder why they can't send emails.  Maybe a PSU dies and
> they can't figure out why the computer isn't working.  They may need
> help ordering and installing a new monitor.  Maybe they need to restore
> a QuickBooks backup and don't know how to do it.
> Simple stuff.  They don't need a superhero, just someone who is
> flexible, honest, and can use the google when the going gets tough.
> Thanks!
> (PS: I sent this once from an email alias and I don't think it went
> through, sorry if it goes twice)

Just a thought - it may not take care of everything, but in my experience
90% of the issues encountered by an office running on Linux can easily be
handled remotely via VNC, if they are connected to a decent high-speed
connection. I do this on a bunch of computers, some of them in Europe.
Of this doesn't cover hardware problems, but for this maybe other arrangements
can be made? If you set this up properly, backups, restores, even handholding
can be done really well using VNC (running with the -alwaysshared option).
HEck, I even start vncviewer for my clients by logging into their account,
exporting the display to :0 and starting the viewer, and then let them
work off of the vnc screen to show me the problem (this only works on
Linux, but on Windows you could just show them how to start the vncserver).

Just a thought and cool linux idea that has stood the test of time for me.