[SATLUG] Microsoft makes offer to buy Yahoo!

Bruce Dubbs bruce.dubbs at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 13:39:27 CST 2008

This whole thing seems fishy to me.  $44B is far more than their
available cash of $19B.  I don't know who really would want their (MSFT)
stock that has been essentially flat since 2000.  They do pay a dividend
of $0.44/year or about 1.25% of the cost of a current share -- about
what my checking account pays.

I guess the current owners could just sell any stock received at a
profit and walk away, but I just don't see the financial advantages to
the purchase.  I guess I'll have to ask my friends from Enron.

  -- Bruce