[SATLUG] OFF TOPIC: "Say No to Photo-ID" for Cred Card purchases...

Henry Pugsley henry.pugsley at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 14:51:57 CST 2008

On Jan 31, 2008 4:06 PM, Tom Weeks <tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org> wrote:

> Sorry for the off topic post.. But I don't know how many times now I've
> been "required" to show a photo ID when using my CC.. but I'm really
> getting
> sick of it.  Your self validating signature (in person and on back of the
> card) is all that is required legally by both Visa and Master Card*
>
> Has anyone else had problems bucking this?
>
> To have my civil liberty of self validation stolen by the state government
> and
> local vendors is simply not something that I'm willing to give up...
>
> Tweeks
> * See Visa and MC rules around this both referenced here
> http://www.wlindley.com/archives/28

I actually write "CHECK ID" next to my signature.  I *want* them to ask for
my ID, yet I have probably been asked fewer than a dozen times in the last
year.  Signatures are way too easy to forge, and the teenager at the gas
station is hardly qualified to determine if your handwriting matches.  Whose
signature looks the same on that little 1/4" line on the card and the
receipt that they sign anyway?  Merchants need to take more responsibility
for this stuff.  Someone got a hold of one of my cards information and
charged up $700+ of merchandise in 4 different cities around Texas, and
every single time the card info was manually keyed.  So the card was not
present, there was no signature to verify, and no name to check against an
ID.

-Henry