[SATLUG] OT: Wintendo

Richard Maynard richard.maynard at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 11:10:47 CST 2008

Just because a driver of some sort is required to interface with a
controller, does not mean that it is software based RAID. In software based
RAID your system has to do all the parity calculations, managment of the
devices, etc... An integrated RAID controller takes care of this, even if it
uses some of the system memory instead of having dedicated memory, it
certainly does not make it software based RAID. Many non-server class mother
boards have integrated RAID Controllers, where the disk configuration is
controlled through the RAID BIOS rather than through the system.

Even if you go and buy many of the different dedicated RAID Controller cards
out there you're still going to be using drivers to interface with the card.
It's only software RAID If your driver is having to do the RAID operations.

-- Richard Maynard

Richard Maynard