[SATLUG] off topic... Home security alarm components...

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 20:49:06 CST 2008

Altex has a complete isle for security stuff. Myself, a few years ago
I bought a Axis 2100 camera from a friend. You can find one on eBay
for about $250. Its a embedded Linux web server running lightHTTP (I
think) on a default TCP port. The Linux app "motion" can connect to
the device and perform a few functions. Take snapshots every few
minutes, detect motion and record to an AVI or MPEG, or email the
"motion" pictures. Currently I have it hidden in my house and can
monitor the interior of my house from a web browser. I did have motion
on mine running for awhile, but with cats in the house, it was always
recording ;)

Things to consider, the Axis products are quite expensive, but they do
deliver. They offer POE (power over ethernet) and audio modules in
case you want to listen as well. And they come in wired and wireless
models. The wireless model is about $300-350.

The more expensive models, PTZ, can remote PTZ (pan tilt and zoom) all
from a web browser, but expect to pay about $1100 for that capability.