[SATLUG] off topic... Home security alarm components...

Travis Runty trunty at gmail.com
Sat Feb 2 21:12:09 CST 2008

Jeremy,

Thanks for the information but I was actually meaning alarm systems, not
video surveillance.  Also, I agree that Axis cameras are very nice (and
pricey).  In the past year I implemented a 20 camera (axis) surveillance
system using two debian servers running Zoneminder with GREAT success.

Also, phn1x, thanks for the heads up.  I think I'll give Altex a visit
tomorrow.

On Feb 2, 2008 8:49 PM, Jeremy Mann <jeremymann at gmail.com> wrote:

> Altex has a complete isle for security stuff. Myself, a few years ago
> I bought a Axis 2100 camera from a friend. You can find one on eBay
> for about $250. Its a embedded Linux web server running lightHTTP (I
> think) on a default TCP port. The Linux app "motion" can connect to
> the device and perform a few functions. Take snapshots every few
> minutes, detect motion and record to an AVI or MPEG, or email the
> "motion" pictures. Currently I have it hidden in my house and can
> monitor the interior of my house from a web browser. I did have motion
> on mine running for awhile, but with cats in the house, it was always
> recording ;)
>
> Things to consider, the Axis products are quite expensive, but they do
> deliver. They offer POE (power over ethernet) and audio modules in
> case you want to listen as well. And they come in wired and wireless
> models. The wireless model is about $300-350.
>
> The more expensive models, PTZ, can remote PTZ (pan tilt and zoom) all
> from a web browser, but expect to pay about $1100 for that capability.
>
> On Feb 2, 2008 8:16 PM, Travis Runty <trunty at gmail.com> wrote:
> > All:
> >
> > I am looking for a local store that I can buy all necessary components
> for a
> > home alarm system (traditional, non TCP/IP  :) ).  I have found plenty
> of
> > online places but I cannot find anything local.  Does Altex sell this
> type
> > of item??  If anyone has any recommendations for first hand experience
> > regarding this I'd appreciate it.
> >
> > --
> >
> > Travis Runty
> > 210.391.3949