[SATLUG] not successful at installfest (Winmodem)

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Feb 5 19:05:57 CST 2008

On Feb 3, 2008 11:03 PM, Chris Lemire <good_bye300 at yahoo.com> wrote:

> He could get a satellite uplink for faster internet. The problem with that
> is that the equipment cost around $500. My grandfather who is an electronic
> engineer built his only huge satellite dish on the side of our house that
> moves to contact other satellite dishes. I'm wondering if something similar
> is possible, so that he could get a satellite uplink internet connection for
> an inexpensive price.

I suggest a Novatel EVDO card for your friend (I prefer Sprint, VZW limits
to 10G/Mon).  I have 2 users who have no access to any "typical" broadband
setup (Cable, DSL, FTTH) and I have had to use Sprint EVDO.  It works really
well (in fact this missive is only possible via mentioned setup).  It is
60/month+equipment and a contract (if you want help paying for the h/w).
Added plus:  It travels EVERYWHERE, and with the addition of a $30 antenna,
gets coverage in places where I have not even been able to use my cell
phone!

If you want maximum direct platform compatibility (Both Laptops & Desktops),
get the the USB U720, if you want "less" dongle and have ExpressCard use the
EX720 (plus dongle for desktop), otherwise the PCMCIA S720 works well.  I
have used the U720 on most platforms with little fuss (Win/Mac/Linux) and
the other 720's on Windows and Linux with little fuss.  May have to
recompile the usb-serial module, but IIRC the newer Linux systems have the
Vendor strings in the C files, and work out of the box.

It is "pricey" per KB compared to others, but depending on how you value
your time, way less expensive than dialup. Also has less latency (most of
the time ;) and higher upstream speeds (almost always :) than Satellite.

Just my 2KB,
jp