[SATLUG] Sopcast TV streaming

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Feb 5 19:40:33 CST 2008

I have been out of pocket for a couple weeks, and I am catching up, so I am
sorry if this discussion is OBE or otherwise no longer relevant.

On Feb 2, 2008 5:17 PM, herb cee <hc at lookcee.com> wrote:

> Does anyone have any experience with this deal?
>
> http://www.myp2p.eu/softwareitem.php?softwareid=5&part=software
>
> I'm gonna devote Sun morning to playing with this in hopes of watching
> or hearing the Superbowl show so any tips would be appreciated.

I am going to avoid the legal discussion aspect of this, so here are my
assumptions:

   1. Person of interest has a legal means of digitally capturing the
   content of interest.
   2. Storage location of content is network accessible
   3. Person is geographically dislocated from content.

There are a number of solutions to this "place shifting" problem.  Slingbox,
SageTV, and SlingMyth all have this capability.  There are a couple of
systems that "sling" personal multimedia content (ie orb.com) and others
that work with iTunes.

As with most things, this is bandwidth limited, so h264 compression is
recommended, and I can shoot 2 streams over my 1MB "Turbo RR"  with
reasonable success.  As long as the recieving side can keep ~350Kbps
downstream, things go reasonably well.

I personally use SageTV, and love it.

HTH
jp