[SATLUG] OT: Wintendo

John Pappas j at jvpappas.net
Tue Feb 5 19:54:14 CST 2008

Not to troll, but in my experience RAID 0 and 1 gain very little from
hardware assistance, as they require no parity calculations.  The parity
RAID levels benefit the most, since real-time parity (Usually XOR)
calculations are then done in dedicated hardware.  Most light to medium I/O
systems really don't gain appreciable performance from Hardware RAID, as
they usually have CPU cycles to spare for the parity ops.  The differences
are most appearant in heavy use scenarios (and benchmarks, as they simulate
heavy load) where there are fewer spare cycles per I/O.

The short answer, almost 0 personal systems will notice any difference in a
R0/1 setup, and <5% will notice the difference in a R5 setup.  Heavy-use
file share and DB systems can see differences in a R5 scenario, but again
R0/1 setups are simple I/O ops, so there is little gain from add-in
controllers, unless there is battery-backed cache (BBC) involved.

My .02,
jp