[SATLUG] cd audio burning

Geoff geoff at w5omr.shacknet.nu
Fri Feb 8 09:16:32 CST 2008

Two questions:

1st
I'm using RDP to log into my winders boxen from my Linux gui. So far,
all is good... except, I don't seem to be able to share the notepad.
When I copy something in Linux, and I go to paste it to the RDP session,
the contents of the notepad in Linux, is not what gets pasted.

I want to know how to fix that.

2nd
Using cdrecord (wodim) I'm attempting to burn some audio cd's as s-l-o-w
as I can, so that the CD player in the vehicle will play them. (if you
didn't know, when burning an audio CD, burn as slow as you can go, to
create less 'skips' on your CD while driving down the road. The slower
the burn speed, the 'deeper' the burn into the cd)

I did a quick google search and found what looked like a pretty good
string to try (with slight modifications for my specific environment)
and I kept looking for more examples and settled on the example given in
the man page for cdrecord (wodim).

To record a pure CD-DA (audio) at single speed, with each track
contained in a file named track01.cdaudio, track02.cdaudio, etc:
wodim -v -pad speed=3D1 dev=3D/dev/cdrw -audio *.mp3

While that worked, it seemed like it was writing kinda fast, if I wanted
it to only burn a 1x. 103seconds for 58mb of audio?.

So back to the man pages.
In the man pages of cdrecord (wodim) it says:

speed=3D#
Set the speed factor of the writing process to #. # is an integer,
representing a multiple of the audio speed.
This is about 150 KB/s for CD-ROM, about 172 KB/s for CD-Audio and about
1385 kB/s for DVD media. If no speed
option is present, wodim will try to get a drive specific speed value
from the file /etc/wodim.conf and if it can=90
not find one, it will try to get the speed value from the CDR_SPEED
environment and later from the CDR_SPEED=3D
entry in /etc/wodim.conf. If no speed value could be found, wodim uses a
drive specific default speed. The
default for all new (MMC compliant) drives is to use the maximum
supported by the drive. *If you use speed=3D0 with
a MMC compliant drive, wodim will switch to the lowest possible speed
for drive and medium.* If you are using an
old (non MMC) drive that has problems with speed=3D2 or speed=3D4, you
should try speed=3D0.

(between the *'s [should be in bold] is what interests me.)

SO, I up-arrowed till I found the command again, changed the speed=3D1
statement to speed=3D0, and burned another disc.

THIS time, it burnt the same amount of data (same files), but in like
half the time. In fact, in the output info the program was spitting out
(that I can't paste), it reported that it was attempting to burn at 48x.

The Distro is SuSE 10.3.

The drive is:
cdrecord --devices
wodim: Overview of accessible drives (1 found) :

0 dev=3D'/dev/scd0' rwrw-- : 'DVDRW' '20X20X12X'

And, it's capabilities are:

cdrecord -prcap
Device was not specified. Trying to find an appropriate drive...
Detected CD-R drive: /dev/cdrw
Using /dev/cdrom of unknown capabilities
Device type : Removable CD-ROM
Version : 5
Response Format: 2
Capabilities :
Vendor_info : 'DVDRW '
Identification : '20X20X12X '
Revision : '6A31'
Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.

Drive capabilities, per MMC-3 page 2A:

Does read CD-R media
Does write CD-R media
Does read CD-RW media
Does write CD-RW media
Does read DVD-ROM media
Does read DVD-R media
Does write DVD-R media
Does read DVD-RAM media
Does write DVD-RAM media
Does support test writing

Does read Mode 2 Form 1 blocks
Does read Mode 2 Form 2 blocks
Does read digital audio blocks
Does restart non-streamed digital audio reads accurately
Does support Buffer-Underrun-Free recording
Does read multi-session CDs
Does read fixed-packet CD media using Method 2
Does not read CD bar code
Does not read R-W subcode information
Does read raw P-W subcode data from lead in
Does return CD media catalog number
Does return CD ISRC information
Does support C2 error pointers
Does not deliver composite A/V data

Does play audio CDs
Number of volume control levels: 256
Does support individual volume control setting for each channel
Does support independent mute setting for each channel
Does not support digital output on port 1
Does support digital output on port 2
Does not send digital data LSB-first
Does not set LRCK high for left-channel data
Does not have valid data on falling edge of clock
Length of data in BCLKs: 16

Does support ejection of CD via START/STOP command
Does not lock media on power up via prevent jumper
Does allow media to be locked in the drive via PREVENT/ALLOW command
Is not currently in a media-locked state
Does not support changing side of disk
Does not have load-empty-slot-in-changer feature
Does not support Individual Disk Present feature

Maximum read speed: 8467 kB/s (CD 48x, DVD 6x)
Current read speed: 8467 kB/s (CD 48x, DVD 6x)
Maximum write speed: 8467 kB/s (CD 48x, DVD 6x)
Current write speed: 8467 kB/s (CD 48x, DVD 6x)
Rotational control selected: CLV/PCAV
Buffer size in KB: 2048
Copy management revision supported: 1
Number of supported write speeds: 9
Write speed # 0: 8467 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 48x, DVD 6x)
Write speed # 1: 7056 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 40x, DVD 5x)
Write speed # 2: 5645 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 32x, DVD 4x)
Write speed # 3: 4234 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 24x, DVD 3x)
Write speed # 4: 2822 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 16x, DVD 2x)
Write speed # 5: 2112 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 12x, DVD 1x)
Write speed # 6: 1764 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 10x, DVD 1x)
Write speed # 7: 1411 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 8x, DVD 1x)
Write speed # 8: 706 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 4x, DVD 0x)

Supported CD-RW media types according to MMC-4 feature 0x37:
Does write multi speed CD-RW media
Does write high speed CD-RW media
Does write ultra high speed CD-RW media
Does write ultra high speed+ CD-RW media

So, am I reading this right? In order to burn as slow as 4x (which seems
to be the slowest) I'd want to set the speed=3D# variable to speed=3D8 in=

order to get it to slow down on burning?

(in RDP, I invoked an ssh client, logged into the system, and that's how
I'm able to copy-n-paste text outputs needed)

Bottom line is, I want to burn Audio CD's as -slow- as possible, to
prevent 'skip' when driving down the road.

Am I on the right track, or do I need to go back to 'press F1 for help'?

While we're at it, what would be another way to get k3b (talking now
about in the gnome gui) to be set to slower speeds?

ADV(thanks)ANCE

--
-Geoff

--=20