[SATLUG] cd audio burning

Jeremy Mann jeremymann at gmail.com
Fri Feb 8 10:33:50 CST 2008

On Feb 8, 2008 9:16 AM, Geoff <geoff at w5omr.shacknet.nu> wrote:
> Two questions:
>
> 1st
> I'm using RDP to log into my winders boxen from my Linux gui. So far,
> all is good... except, I don't seem to be able to share the notepad.
> When I copy something in Linux, and I go to paste it to the RDP session,
> the contents of the notepad in Linux, is not what gets pasted.

I'm not familiar with RDP, but some versions of VNC have a container
script called vncconfig that can dump the contents of the X buffer.
Maybe you need to upgrade your RDP client to support this.

> Using cdrecord (wodim) I'm attempting to burn some audio cd's as s-l-o-w
> as I can, so that the CD player in the vehicle will play them. (if you
> didn't know, when burning an audio CD, burn as slow as you can go, to
> create less 'skips' on your CD while driving down the road. The slower
> the burn speed, the 'deeper' the burn into the cd)
> supported by the drive. *If you use speed=0 with
> a MMC compliant drive, wodim will switch to the lowest possible speed
> for drive and medium.* If you are using an
> old (non MMC) drive that has problems with speed=2 or speed=4, you
> should try speed=0.
>
> (between the *'s [should be in bold] is what interests me.)
>

> SO, I up-arrowed till I found the command again, changed the speed=1
> statement to speed=0, and burned another disc.
>
> THIS time, it burnt the same amount of data (same files), but in like
> half the time. In fact, in the output info the program was spitting out
> (that I can't paste), it reported that it was attempting to burn at 48x.

Believe or not, most newer drives have problems burning at slow speeds
if they can at all go below 4x. wodim answered your question right
there, "when set to speed=0 it will burn at the slowest possible speed
that the drive supports".

--
Jeremy Mann
jeremy at biochem.uthscsa.edu