[SATLUG] cd audio burning

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Fri Feb 8 11:31:50 CST 2008

Geoff wrote:
> Jeremy Mann wrote:
>>> Using cdrecord (wodim) I'm attempting to burn some audio cd's as
>>> s-l-o-w
>>> as I can, so that the CD player in the vehicle will play them. (if you
>>> didn't know, when burning an audio CD, burn as slow as you can go, to
>>> create less 'skips' on your CD while driving down the road. The slower
>>> the burn speed, the 'deeper' the burn into the cd)
>>> supported by the drive. *If you use speed=0 with
>>> a MMC compliant drive, wodim will switch to the lowest possible speed
>>> for drive and medium.* If you are using an
>>> old (non MMC) drive that has problems with speed=2 or speed=4, you
>>> should try speed=0.
>>>
>>> (between the *'s [should be in bold] is what interests me.)
>>>

>>> SO, I up-arrowed till I found the command again, changed the speed=1
>>> statement to speed=0, and burned another disc.
>>>
>>> THIS time, it burnt the same amount of data (same files), but in like
>>> half the time. In fact, in the output info the program was spitting out
>>> (that I can't paste), it reported that it was attempting to burn at
>>> 48x.
>>>

>> Believe or not, most newer drives have problems burning at slow speeds
>> if they can at all go below 4x. wodim answered your question right
>> there, "when set to speed=0 it will burn at the slowest possible speed
>> that the drive supports".
>
> Ah, but it didn't!  I -set- speed=0 in the command, and if you'll go
> back and re-read my message, you'll see where I said that the same
> amount of data was burned to the CD in half of the time as having the
> variable 'speed=1' set.  Hence my confusion.

 Hey Geoff,
Your first burn was ..... To record a pure CD-DA (audio) at single
speed, with each track
contained in a file named track01.cdaudio, track02.cdaudio, etc:
wodim -v -pad speed=1 dev=/dev/cdrw -audio *.mp3

While that worked, it seemed like it was writing kinda fast, if I wanted
it to only burn a 1x. 103seconds for 58mb of audio?.

According  to the specs #1 will set record speed at 40x and your 2nd
burn set at #0 forced a burn at 48x:
Number of supported write speeds: 9
Write speed # 0: 8467 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 48x, DVD 6x)
Write speed # 1: 7056 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 40x, DVD 5x)
Write speed # 2: 5645 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 32x, DVD 4x)
Write speed # 3: 4234 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 24x, DVD 3x)
Write speed # 4: 2822 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 16x, DVD 2x)
Write speed # 5: 2112 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 12x, DVD 1x)
Write speed # 6: 1764 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 10x, DVD 1x)
Write speed # 7: 1411 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 8x, DVD 1x)
Write speed # 8: 706 kB/s CLV/PCAV (CD 4x, DVD 0x)
So it appears that 4x is the slowest that drive will turn so to get the
lowest speed I agree with your premise:
So, am I reading this right? In order to burn as slow as 4x (which seems
to be the slowest) I'd want to set the speed=# variable to speed=8 in
order to get it to slow down on burning? So, am I reading this right? In
order to burn as slow as 4x (which seems
to be the slowest) I'd want to set the speed=# variable to speed=8 in
order to get it to slow down on burning?

herb