[SATLUG] cd audio burning

herb cee hc at lookcee.com
Fri Feb 8 16:19:42 CST 2008


Geoff wrote:
> herb cee wrote:
>>>>
>>>> Believe or not, most newer drives have problems burning at slow 
>>>> speeds if they can at all go below 4x. wodim answered your question 
>>>> right there, "when set to speed=0 it will burn at the slowest 
>>>> possible speed that the drive supports".
>>>
>>> Ah, but it didn't!  I -set- speed=0 in the command, and if you'll go 
>>> back and re-read my message, you'll see where I said that the same 
>>> amount of data was burned to the CD in half of the time as having 
>>> the variable 'speed=1' set.  Hence my confusion.
>>>
>>
>> According  to the specs #1 will set record speed at 40x and your 2nd 
>> burn set at #0 forced a burn at 48x:
>>
>> So it appears that 4x is the slowest that drive will turn so to get 
>> the lowest speed I agree with your premise:
>>
>
> Good catch, Herb.  And, that's exactly where I was going with this.  
> My point of contention is, that setting "speed=8" seems to be in 
> direct contradiction to setting 'speed=0' to get the slowest speed 
> burn.  What am I mis-reading?
>
> Well, I'm sitting here looking at a spindle of 48 blank CD-Rw's (out 
> of 50)
> .  I guess the only way to really know, is to take the same amount of 
> data, and burn it at speed=8 and see if it slows down the burn time.
>
> What's the command to start a timer on a command, to see how long it 
> takes?  time?
>
>
> a quick review of 'man time' verified this to be accurate.
>
> And, here are the results:
>
>  root at myserver  Fri Feb 08  11:43:32
>  /srv/www/htdocs/mp3/A/Allman Brothers/A Decade of Hits
> :> time wodim -v -pad speed=8 dev=/dev/cdrw -audio *.mp3         
> wodim: No write mode specified.
> (*huh?*)
> wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
> wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent 
> defaults.
> TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
> scsidev: '/dev/cdrw'
> devname: '/dev/cdrw'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
> Wodim version: 1.1.6
> SCSI buffer size: 64512
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 5
> Response Format: 2
> Capabilities   :
> Vendor_info    : 'DVDRW   '
> Identification : '20X20X12X       '
> Revision       : '6A31'
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
> Current: 0x0009 (CD-R)
> Profile: 0x002B (DVD+R/DL)
> Profile: 0x001B (DVD+R)
> Profile: 0x001A (DVD+RW)
> Profile: 0x0016 (DVD-R/DL layer jump recording)
> Profile: 0x0015 (DVD-R/DL sequential recording)
> Profile: 0x0014 (DVD-RW sequential recording)
> Profile: 0x0013 (DVD-RW restricted overwrite)
> Profile: 0x0012 (DVD-RAM)
> Profile: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)
> Profile: 0x0010 (DVD-ROM)
> Profile: 0x000A (CD-RW)
> Profile: 0x0009 (CD-R) (current)
> Profile: 0x0008 (CD-ROM)
> Profile: 0x0002 (Removable disk)
> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
> Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE FORCESPEED
> Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P 
> RAW/R96R
> Drive buf size : 988416 = 965 KB
> Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if 
> device
> communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
> FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
> Track 01: audio    2 MB (00:15.01) no preemp swab pad    Track 02: 
> audio    3 MB (00:21.45) no preemp swab pad    Track 03: audio    2 MB 
> (00:15.57) no preemp swab pad    Track 04: audio    5 MB (00:30.13) no 
> preemp swab pad    Track 05: audio    4 MB (00:28.64) no preemp swab 
> pad    Track 06: audio    5 MB (00:30.90) no preemp swab pad    Track 
> 07: audio    1 MB (00:09.05) no preemp swab pad    Track 08: audio    
> 2 MB (00:15.85) no preemp swab pad    Track 09: audio    2 MB 
> (00:12.40) no preemp swab pad    Track 10: audio    3 MB (00:20.60) no 
> preemp swab pad    Track 11: audio    3 MB (00:19.68) no preemp swab 
> pad    Track 12: audio    2 MB (00:17.04) no preemp swab pad    Track 
> 13: audio    3 MB (00:21.46) no preemp swab pad    Track 14: audio    
> 3 MB (00:17.87) no preemp swab pad    Track 15: audio    3 MB 
> (00:17.92) no preemp swab pad    Track 16: audio    3 MB (00:22.12) no 
> preemp swab pad    Total size:       58 MB (05:45.88) = 25941 sectors
> Lout start:       58 MB (05:47/66) = 25941 sectors
> Current Secsize: 2048
> ATIP info from disk:
>  Indicated writing power: 5
>  Is not unrestricted
>  Is not erasable
>  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, low Beta category (A-) (2)
>  ATIP start of lead in:  -11634 (97:26/66)
>  ATIP start of lead out: 359849 (79:59/74)
> Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
> Manuf. index: 3
> Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
> Blocks total: 359849 Blocks current: 359849 Blocks remaining: 333908
> Forcespeed is OFF.
> Speed set to 2822 KB/s
> Starting to write CD/DVD at speed  16.0 in real TAO mode for single 
> session.
> Last chance to quit, starting real write i   0 seconds. Operation starts.
> Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
> Performing OPC...
> Starting new track at sector: 0
> Track 01:    2 of    2 MB written (fifo  84%) [buf  98%]  18.7x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 2649277/2650704 (1127 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 1279
> Track 02:    3 of    3 MB written (fifo  71%) [buf  98%]  19.6x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 02: Total bytes read/written: 3784036/3784368 (1609 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 3040
> Track 03:    2 of    2 MB written (fifo  81%) [buf  98%]  19.2x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 03: Total bytes read/written: 2747393/2749488 (1169 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 4361
> Track 04:    5 of    5 MB written (fifo  40%) [buf  98%]  19.7x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 04: Total bytes read/written: 5315334/5315520 (2260 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 6773
> Track 05:    4 of    4 MB written (fifo  50%) [buf  98%]  19.4x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 05: Total bytes read/written: 5052334/5054448 (2149 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 9074
> Track 06:    5 of    5 MB written (fifo  46%) [buf  98%]  20.5x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 06: Total bytes read/written: 5451380/5451936 (2318 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 11544
> Track 07:    1 of    1 MB written (fifo  95%) [buf  98%]   4.7x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 07: Total bytes read/written: 1597274/1599360 (680 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 12376
> Track 08:    2 of    2 MB written (fifo  76%) [buf  98%]  20.5x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 08: Total bytes read/written: 2796608/2798880 (1190 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 13718
> Track 09:    2 of    2 MB written (fifo  79%) [buf  98%]  20.3x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 09: Total bytes read/written: 2187850/2189712 (931 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 14801
> Track 10:    3 of    3 MB written (fifo  68%) [buf  98%]  21.2x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 10: Total bytes read/written: 3634511/3636192 (1546 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 16499
> Track 11:    3 of    3 MB written (fifo  67%) [buf  98%]  21.2x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 11: Total bytes read/written: 3471821/3473904 (1477 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 18128
> Track 12:    2 of    2 MB written (fifo  81%) [buf  98%]  20.7x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 12: Total bytes read/written: 3006005/3008208 (1279 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 19559
> Track 13:    3 of    3 MB written (fifo  68%) [buf  98%]  21.8x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 13: Total bytes read/written: 3786231/3786720 (1610 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 21321
> Track 14:    2 of    3 MB written (fifo  81%) [buf  98%]  21.3x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 14:    3 of    3 MB written (fifo  68%) [buf  98%]  21.7x.
> Track 14: Total bytes read/written: 3153023/3154032 (1341 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 22814
> Track 15:    2 of    3 MB written (fifo  81%) [buf  90%]  20.2x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 15:    3 of    3 MB written (fifo  68%) [buf  98%]  23.6x.
> Track 15: Total bytes read/written: 3162113/3163440 (1345 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 24311
> Track 16:    3 of    3 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  98%]  22.5x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 16: Total bytes read/written: 3902214/3904320 (1660 sectors).
> Writing  time:   68.997s
> Average write speed   6.0x.
> Min drive buffer fill was 90%
> Fixating...
> Fixating time:   15.197s
> BURN-Free was never needed.
> wodim: fifo had 885 puts and 885 gets.
> wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 47 times full, min fill was 37%.
>
> ***************
> * real    1m32.585s
> * user    0m0.076s
> * sys     0m0.400s
> ***************
>
> Now, to set it to speed=0...
>
> root at myserver  Fri Feb 08  11:46:13
>  /srv/www/htdocs/mp3/A/Allman Brothers/A Decade of Hits
> :> time wodim -v -pad speed=0 dev=/dev/cdrw -audio *.mp3 wodim: No 
> write mode specified.
> wodim: Asuming -tao mode.
> wodim: Future versions of wodim may have different drive dependent 
> defaults.
> TOC Type: 0 = CD-DA
> scsidev: '/dev/cdrw'
> devname: '/dev/cdrw'
> scsibus: -2 target: -2 lun: -2
> Linux sg driver version: 3.5.27
> Wodim version: 1.1.6
> SCSI buffer size: 64512
> Device type    : Removable CD-ROM
> Version        : 5
> Response Format: 2
> Capabilities   :
> Vendor_info    : 'DVDRW   '
> Identification : '20X20X12X       '
> Revision       : '6A31'
> Device seems to be: Generic mmc2 DVD-R/DVD-RW.
> Current: 0x0009 (CD-R)
> Profile: 0x002B (DVD+R/DL)
> Profile: 0x001B (DVD+R)
> Profile: 0x001A (DVD+RW)
> Profile: 0x0016 (DVD-R/DL layer jump recording)
> Profile: 0x0015 (DVD-R/DL sequential recording)
> Profile: 0x0014 (DVD-RW sequential recording)
> Profile: 0x0013 (DVD-RW restricted overwrite)
> Profile: 0x0012 (DVD-RAM)
> Profile: 0x0011 (DVD-R sequential recording)
> Profile: 0x0010 (DVD-ROM)
> Profile: 0x000A (CD-RW)
> Profile: 0x0009 (CD-R) (current)
> Profile: 0x0008 (CD-ROM)
> Profile: 0x0002 (Removable disk)
> Using generic SCSI-3/mmc   CD-R/CD-RW driver (mmc_cdr).
> Driver flags   : MMC-3 SWABAUDIO BURNFREE FORCESPEED
> Supported modes: TAO PACKET SAO SAO/R96P SAO/R96R RAW/R16 RAW/R96P 
> RAW/R96R
> Drive buf size : 988416 = 965 KB
> Beginning DMA speed test. Set CDR_NODMATEST environment variable if 
> device
> communication breaks or freezes immediately after that.
> FIFO size      : 4194304 = 4096 KB
> Track 01: audio    2 MB (00:15.01) no preemp swab pad    Track 02: 
> audio    3 MB (00:21.45) no preemp swab pad    Track 03: audio    2 MB 
> (00:15.57) no preemp swab pad    Track 04: audio    5 MB (00:30.13) no 
> preemp swab pad    Track 05: audio    4 MB (00:28.64) no preemp swab 
> pad    Track 06: audio    5 MB (00:30.90) no preemp swab pad    Track 
> 07: audio    1 MB (00:09.05) no preemp swab pad    Track 08: audio    
> 2 MB (00:15.85) no preemp swab pad    Track 09: audio    2 MB 
> (00:12.40) no preemp swab pad    Track 10: audio    3 MB (00:20.60) no 
> preemp swab pad    Track 11: audio    3 MB (00:19.68) no preemp swab 
> pad    Track 12: audio    2 MB (00:17.04) no preemp swab pad    Track 
> 13: audio    3 MB (00:21.46) no preemp swab pad    Track 14: audio    
> 3 MB (00:17.87) no preemp swab pad    Track 15: audio    3 MB 
> (00:17.92) no preemp swab pad    Track 16: audio    3 MB (00:22.12) no 
> preemp swab pad    Total size:       58 MB (05:45.88) = 25941 sectors
> Lout start:       58 MB (05:47/66) = 25941 sectors
> Current Secsize: 2048
> ATIP info from disk:
>  Indicated writing power: 5
>  Is not unrestricted
>  Is not erasable
>  Disk sub type: Medium Type A, high Beta category (A+) (3)
>  ATIP start of lead in:  -11634 (97:26/66)
>  ATIP start of lead out: 359846 (79:59/71)
> Disk type:    Short strategy type (Phthalocyanine or similar)
> Manuf. index: 3
> Manufacturer: CMC Magnetics Corporation
> Blocks total: 359846 Blocks current: 359846 Blocks remaining: 333905
> Forcespeed is OFF.
> Speed set to 8467 KB/s
> Starting to write CD/DVD at speed  48.0 in real TAO mode for single 
> session.
> Last chance to quit, starting real write i   0 seconds. Operation starts.
> Waiting for reader process to fill input buffer ... input buffer ready.
> Performing OPC...
> Starting new track at sector: 0
> Track 01:    2 of    2 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  98%]  21.7x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 01: Total bytes read/written: 2649277/2650704 (1127 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 1279
> Track 02:    3 of    3 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  98%]  22.9x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 02: Total bytes read/written: 3784036/3784368 (1609 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 3040
> Track 03:    2 of    2 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  98%]  22.4x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 03: Total bytes read/written: 2747393/2749488 (1169 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 4361
> Track 04:    5 of    5 MB written (fifo  98%) [buf  98%]  23.4x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 04: Total bytes read/written: 5315334/5315520 (2260 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 6773
> Track 05:    4 of    4 MB written (fifo  98%) [buf  98%]  22.8x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 05: Total bytes read/written: 5052334/5054448 (2149 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 9074
> Track 06:    5 of    5 MB written (fifo  98%) [buf  98%]  24.2x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 06: Total bytes read/written: 5451380/5451936 (2318 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 11544
> Track 07:    1 of    1 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  98%]   4.4x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 07: Total bytes read/written: 1597274/1599360 (680 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 12376
> Track 08:    2 of    2 MB written (fifo  98%) [buf  98%]  23.5x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 08: Total bytes read/written: 2796608/2798880 (1190 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 13718
> Track 09:    2 of    2 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  98%]  23.8x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 09: Total bytes read/written: 2187850/2189712 (931 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 14801
> Track 10:    3 of    3 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  98%]  24.6x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 10: Total bytes read/written: 3634511/3636192 (1546 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 16499
> Track 11:    3 of    3 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  98%]  24.6x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 11: Total bytes read/written: 3471821/3473904 (1477 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 18128
> Track 12:    2 of    2 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  98%]  24.2x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 12: Total bytes read/written: 3006005/3008208 (1279 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 19559
> Track 13:    3 of    3 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  98%]  25.0x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 13: Total bytes read/written: 3786231/3786720 (1610 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 21321
> Track 14:    2 of    3 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  98%]  24.6x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 14:    3 of    3 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  98%]  25.8x.
> Track 14: Total bytes read/written: 3153023/3154032 (1341 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 22814
> Track 15:    2 of    3 MB written (fifo  98%) [buf  98%]  25.0x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 15:    3 of    3 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  98%]  25.6x.
> Track 15: Total bytes read/written: 3162113/3163440 (1345 sectors).
> Starting new track at sector: 24311
> Track 16:    3 of    3 MB written (fifo 100%) [buf  95%]  25.4x.
> WARNING: padding up to secsize.
> Track 16: Total bytes read/written: 3902214/3904320 (1660 sectors).
> Writing  time:   69.841s
> Average write speed   5.8x.
> Min drive buffer fill was 95%
> Fixating...
> Fixating time:   13.548s
> BURN-Free was never needed.
> wodim: fifo had 885 puts and 885 gets.
> wodim: fifo was 0 times empty and 478 times full, min fill was 89%.
>
> ***************
> * real    1m31.692s
> * user    0m0.060s
> * sys     0m0.380s
> ***************
>
> I don't see a helluva lot of difference.  Anyone else?

Yeah look here: the forced speed was reset in both cases and the DMA 
test set the speed
Forcespeed is OFF.
Speed set to 2822 KB/s
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed  16.0 in real TAO mode for single 
session.

and

Forcespeed is OFF.
Speed set to 8467 KB/s
Starting to write CD/DVD at speed  48.0 in real TAO mode for single 
session.

I have no idea how to cure this tho perhaps your command is too early in 
the config sequence and is being reset by another line that needs to be 
# out ... just guessing
Herb
>
>



More information about the SATLUG mailing list