[SATLUG] What distro to install on a G3

Travis Runty trunty at gmail.com
Sat Feb 9 12:53:55 CST 2008

I'm not to familiar with Mac's but I'm assuming the procs in these is going
to be the PowerPC architecture.  If it were me I would start out installing
YellowDog as I think everything should "just work" with that install.  Also,
I know Debian and Ubuntu have PPC releases even though Ubuntu recently
stopped officially supporting PPC.

-Travis

On Feb 9, 2008 12:33 PM, Mary Yatti <yatinhat at yahoo.com> wrote:

> I have a dozen donated G3 towers (blue/white) that I'd
> like to fix to donate out for special needs kids.
> I've been able to download Mac games on some of them.
> A few of them have admin passwords and I can't install
> anything so would like to do a clean install.  For
> older computers...they rock.
>
> I have Microsoft Office 2004 for Macs..I'd like to
> install that for one child.  I don't think Ubuntu
> would work here.
>
> Someone mentioned Ubuntu, I think OS 10 Leopard is
> overkill.  I've been googling, but don't have a lot of
> time right now.  So I thought I'd ask the group's
> input...as one of the kids calls daily.
>
> Mary :)

Travis Runty
210.391.3949