[SATLUG] new box built but not qutie happy

Brad Knowles brad at shub-internet.org
Sat Feb 9 19:07:19 CST 2008

On 2/9/08, toddwbucy wrote:

>  can someone recomend a low cost (yet reliable) raid controller card. I
>  am currently using a software raid 5 with 4 SATA2 320gig drives.  The
>  read performance is ok but the write really sucks.  So I am looking for
>  something that will help improve this or at least give me more options
>  then raid 0, 1, or 5.

BTW, if you need real performance and you can live with just 640GB of
storage instead of ~960GB, then a RAID-1+0 configuration would be
ideal.  You'd have maximum reliability (because all your data would
be mirrored), but you'd also have considerably higher performance
(because you'd be striping across multiple disks).

Just a thought.