[SATLUG] NASA's Computers

Dennis Myhand dmyhand at suddenlink.net
Sat Feb 9 20:17:13 CST 2008

Geoff wrote:
> I'm sitting here, watching live video, and listening to live audio of
> the current shuttle flight, and it's docking with the ISS.
>
> I just heard one of the Astronauts in space, describe an 'error'
> message, from some M$ software.
>
> The recommended repair procedure was to power the unit down, and make
> sure everything is re-seated, and then restart.
>
> Microsoft sucks.

Actually, and I am not wanting to sound pro-M$ here, if the
recommendation was to power down and re-seat everything, it was most
likely a hardware issue.  And there are some things on any mission which
are not mission critical.  An example would be the 2-meter and 70cm ham
radios which are taken along to communicate with earthbound hams and
school children.  They are nice to have a long, and I want to make one
of those qsl contacts, but the mission does not depend on them
functioning correctly.  Peace, Dennis