[SATLUG] new box built but not qutie happy

Daniel J. Givens daniel at rugmonster.org
Sun Feb 10 22:53:56 CST 2008

Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> I don't know why people worry about $200-$300 for a decent raid card.
> If your data is not worth a lot more than that, then you don't need raid.

I can understand it. There is a bit of a pucker factor when you start
looking at setting up RAID. You've already sunk a sizable chunk of cash
on a set of drives, so throwing down more on a good RAID controller can
seem difficult to justify if you don't know what you're passing up on. I
went back and forth late last year when deciding whether or not to get
the 3ware PCIe 4-port hardware SATA RAID controller with battery backup
unit. I did and I'm extremely pleased with the results and wouldn't have
it any other way from now on. I spent a good $450 on the controller+bbu
and another $320 on 4 160GB drives. Of everything I put into my system,
I debated more on the storage components than anything else largely due
to cost.

Daniel