[SATLUG] new box built but not qutie happy

Tom Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Sun Feb 10 23:31:56 CST 2008

On Sunday 10 February 2008 22:40:01 Bruce Dubbs wrote:
> Tom Weeks wrote:
> > RAID 0+1 sucks (a mirror of two RAID-0s)...  Yeah it's fast, but has a
> > much higher failure rate than RAID-10 (striped RAID-1 mirrors). If you're
> > running a nice battery backed cache RAID card, and write back cache is
> > enabled.. then RAID-10 will be nice and fast too.  Of course a "nice"
> > RAID card with batt backed cache and write-back cache will start at not
> > much less than $2-300 minimum.
>
> I don't know why people worry about $200-$300 for a decent raid card.
> If your data is not worth a lot more than that, then you don't need raid.

Yes, I know Bruce (and agree).  But this is not a professional IT mail list.
It's a hobbyist mail list... which usually equates to "frugal" ;).  So I just
framed it as such... Remember.. when some people think "RAID", they're
thinking embedded mobo SW RAID, el-cheap-o PCI RAID-1 (only) cards, or even
(gasp) software RAID.. hehe..

But yes.. if you're going to "do it right", and don't want to buy one of
these:
	http://www.drobo.com/products_drobo.aspx
	http://www.infrant.com/products/products_details.php?name=ReadyNAS%20NVPlus

then you're going to spend a pretty penny setting up your own, large, high
availability system.  For example... several friends of mine at work who need
a multi-TB SATA array (for digital home theater) go with this type of
setup... easily running into the $1-3000 range after all said and done.

Tweeks