[SATLUG] NASA's Computers

Walt DuBose dubose at texas.net
Mon Feb 11 03:54:27 CST 2008

The first NAV computer on a space shuttle was a Radio Shack M100.

Most operational computers use an OS that the is specific to the individual
computer.  Most are really an OS written by the manfacturer for the specific task.

Data exchange between computers is to a Federal Standard so whatever OS is used
on a computer...if it must comunicate with another computer is done using the
FED-STD.

Astronauts may bring along their own personal computers as long as they meet the
RF radiation supression standard for the shuttle (they don't interfere with
shuttle systems).

Amateur radio equipment is tested extensively by the NASA Amateur Radio Club,
which is made up of NASA employees, before it is ever allowed on a shuttle...you
just don't go "buy" a rig and put it in the shuttle.

Life Support systems are build and tested to a higher standard that hardware and
software used in experiments unless it could affect Life Support systems.

Walt