[SATLUG] Attaching to a running GUI

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon Feb 11 06:43:43 CST 2008

> Thanks to everyone that replied and offered advice. Unfortunately, since
> I cannot install anything on the box, it looks like I'm out of luck.
> It's not a matter of not having administrator rights (I have those), I
> just cannot install any software due to project restrictions. Oh well.

Kase,

I don't know if anyone mentioned this solution yet, but Linux indeed is
flexible enough to do what you want, as long as you can have a second
Linux box on the network somewhere else, and don't mind entering a few
command lines. For simplicity, let's call the box from which you want to
attach to the GUI host-a.domain.net, and the second networked linux box,
let's call it host-b.domain.net (they can be on different domains).

Here is what you do:

1. Install vnc on host-b.domain.net. Of course, this box needs to be networked.
Set up VNC so it doesn't use any fancy window manager on this box,
the default twm will do.

2. Start VNC on host-b.domain.net and log into the VNC session. Let's say you started
VNC on DISPLAY=:1 on this box.

3. Open a shell on the VNC session and type this: xhost +host-a.domain.net.
Close the shell. There shouldn't be anything on the desktop except a grey background.

4. now go to host-a.domain.net and log in. Open a shell (or in terminal mode),
type:

export DISPLAY=host-b.domain.net:1
startkde &

5. now go back and attach to your VNC session and voila, you will be able to see the
GUI of the host-a.domain.net box on host-b.domain.net. Run all of your programs
from there and and you can shut and open your VNC client from host-b.domain.net
as often as you like and will always find that you can re-attach to the GUI from
host-a.domain.net without ever installing *anything* on this box.

One caveat: The vnc port needs to be open between the 2 computers (5901 for display 1).

Linux makes it possible - cool, eh?

-Borries