[SATLUG] Attaching to a running GUI

Tom Weeks tweeksjunk2 at theweeks.org
Mon Feb 11 15:45:27 CST 2008

On Monday 11 February 2008 06:43:43 Borries Demeler wrote:
> > Thanks to everyone that replied and offered advice. Unfortunately, since
> > I cannot install anything on the box, it looks like I'm out of luck.
> > It's not a matter of not having administrator rights (I have those), I
> > just cannot install any software due to project restrictions. Oh well.

Kase..
 one last comment.. Some apps you can manually install in your own (non-root)
home directory (~/bin).  If you're allowed to do this, you can also run your
own copy of VNC (on non-priv ports) and possibly do what you need.  You will
just need to spawn the binary such that it and your X-session will not
terminate (you don't log out of them).

Flag me of list if you want to chat about it.

Tweeks