[SATLUG] OT: Hard Drive Failure

tsuehpsyde tsuehpsyde at gmail.com
Tue Feb 12 22:46:00 CST 2008

One way I've seen work (which may or may not work, it's more of a last
resort since it's risky) is to put the drive in the freezer. Let it get nice
and cold, and then fire it back up while it's cold (and be at the ready with
a paper towel to wipe off the condensation that will form). I thought it was
BS until I saw it work myself in one scenario.

Another way I've saved drives in the past is trying the various jumpers on
the back. I had one drive that after it started making death clicking noises
that would only work as a slave with no master present on the secondary
channel. I tried many different configurations until the drive showed back
up in the OS. I then proceeded to pull the data off it quickly.

That said, go buy a new drive now. You're going to have to have a new drive
anyway since this one is dying, and if/when you get the old drive working
again, you want to be able to pull the data over to a new source ASAP.

Best of luck. This is why I use hardware RAID-5 for my personal file
storage. I lost too many files in my younger years due to having a single
drive failure.

-Jim