[SATLUG] OT: Hard Drive Failure

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Wed Feb 13 11:36:38 CST 2008

I, too, had 2 recent WD drive failures (do you think there's a trend
here?).  I tried the freezer trick, but it made no difference (partly
because WinXP tried to reformat the drive on its own).  I had to resort
to downloading a data recovery package called "Quick Recovery" that was
able to search the drive and recover/rebuild my files.

The software's front-end is a little buggy & does some peculiar things,
but I think the success it had in recovering my files was worth the
idiosyncrasies & shortcomings of the user interface.  It's not free (I
paid $69 for my copy), but it's not just an MS Windows-only product --
they have Linux versions as well.

You can find the software at http://www.unistal.com/.