[SATLUG] OT: Hard Drive Failure

Jim Parkhurst JPARKHUR at dot.state.tx.us
Wed Feb 13 14:35:24 CST 2008

In that case the option that seems to remain is to find a same-same drive, carefully, very carefully remove your platter to the working drive to access the data. And have some reliable backup media to catch the data being copied.

>>> "Matt Kinsel" <mkinsel at gmail.com> 02/13/2008 14:28 >>>
Thanks for the advice, y'all. The only thing is, the two programs
recommended seem to work only with a drive that you can actually access. Is
that correct? My drive is not even being recognized by Windows or Linux. It
has a status light that remains in the "starting" indication and never fully
mounts.

Here's the product I have: http://tinyurl.com/2w93xd

On Feb 13, 2008 2:12 PM, Jose Leiva <leivajose at gmail.com> wrote:

> you can try using SpinRite, it can try to repair your disk, but in your
> case
> the only option is to recover the data.
> its a pretty easy interface. I did use it last week but my hard drive was
> long gone : (.
> Here is the website http://www.grc.com/sr/spinrite.htm
> you can watch the videos on youtube and see how it works. keyword
> "SpinRite"
>
> the downside is that its $89, but its worth every penny
> it works on windows, linux

Matt Kinsel
www.mattkinsel.com
www.kinsel-kreations.com