[SATLUG] OT: Hard Drive Failure

Alan Lesmerises alesmerises at satx.rr.com
Wed Feb 13 14:51:24 CST 2008

Actually, that's not true.  Here's what happened:

My hard-drive was on my WinXP system when it failed.  It was suspended,
& when I tried to get it to wake up -- nothing.  It also wouldn't boot
or anything else.  I got another hard-drive set-up as the primary boot
drive and tried hooking up the bad one as a secondary drive, and XP
started formatting it.  I can't tell how far it got before I stopped it,
but it corrupted the boot & file table data so I couldn't see or do
anything on that drive.  It just looked like an unformatted drive.  The
Unistal "Quick Recovery" program was able to read the data off
sector-by-sector and rebuild something like 90% of what was on the drive
nevertheless.  It just took a while (about 24 hours for a 120GB drive)
to search each and every sector to do that.

Once it searched for and identified all the files it could find, it
saved that data so I have been able to go back and recovery files
several times since then, all with a high degree of success.  It's only
the files in areas where the sectors were corrupted (or maybe physically
damaged?) that I haven't been able to recover -- but that actually
represents only a small fraction of what I _was_ able to retrieve.

In short, the software doesn't seem to care if the drive is formatted or
not.  It built it's own file tables and identified where the data is
located so it can rebuild the files by reading directly off the disk itself.