[SATLUG] OT: Hard Drive Failure

Jim Parkhurst JPARKHUR at dot.state.tx.us
Thu Feb 14 07:52:30 CST 2008

Boing! External (storage) drive. Have you tried connecting the drive internally? There may be a bad/flakey USB interface.

>>> "Matt Kinsel" <mkinsel at gmail.com> 02/13/2008 20:42 >>>
I tried the demo program from unistal.com, but it only detected my internal
hard drive. It couldn't find my external network drive.

I called Western Digital, but they wouldn't help me because the warranty's
expired. They referred me to this company: www.cbltech.com
I'm getting a quote from them, and here's the description of the problem
that I gave them:

Western Digital NetCenter External Network Hard Drive. The drive, which
connects to our router via Ethernet, was working fine but suddenly started
making a repeating whir-click sound. The status light on the drive remained
indefinitely on "starting". By holding the drive at various angles, I got it
to finally stop the clicking and semi-mount. If it were fully mounted and
functional, the status light would be a steady blue, but instead the status
light is now blinking and alternating purple and blue, and the drive is
quiet. In the past, when connected to the network, there were two top-level
folders on the drive, "config" and "shared files". The "config" folder
contained one configuration file, and the "shared files" folder contained
all of our stored files. Now, the only folder that appears accessible to our
computers (Windows and Linux) is the "config" folder. The "shared files"
folder does not even appear to exist. Using the "Configuration" file on
NetCenter, I can log in and view statistics on the drive. It says that it
does not have any volumes associated with it and it does not have any shared
files. It's almost like it wiped itself clean and started over, but for two
things: the blinking status light indicates that it knows something is
wrong, and the log in ID and password for the Configuration file is still
the same as when I first set up the drive.

--
Matt Kinsel
www.mattkinsel.com