[SATLUG] reading advice

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Fri Feb 15 17:38:31 CST 2008

On Fri, Feb 15, 2008 at 2:36 PM, toddwbucy <toddwbucy at grandecom.net> wrote:
> after watching The Code (which I thought was excellent) I think that
>  what I need to better understand is the organizational and developmental
>  structure of the Linux community.  Basically what I am trying to
>  understand is how a piece of code gets approved and implemented.  I was
>  able to get a very basic outline from The Code but many of the details
>  are missing.

It varies with each project, but I think one concept sticks out --
trust.  You give "commit" access to those you trust working on the
project.  Usually an external contributor starts off by submitting
patches to the project maintainer (or some sub-tree manager) for the
"trunk" revision, who will patch the source on their behalf if they
think the addition (or removal) has merit.  With time, if their work
is useful and people start to see the value in their contributions,
they may be granted "commit" access or become an official developer on
the project...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen