[SATLUG] wireless usb network adapter problem

Chris Lemire good_bye300 at yahoo.com
Sat Feb 16 21:38:25 CST 2008

I'm trying to use a wireless usb network adapter on another computer running Debian 4.0. It is stable right now, but I plan on upgrading it to testing. I've used this wireless network adapter on other computers before, and it works just fine with ndiswrapper as long as I'm not using 64 bit Linux. When I plug it into the computer, the green light does not come on, and lsusb does not show it. I've tried both usb ports with the same results. dmesg shows this after unplugging it and plugging it into another usb port.

usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 95
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 96
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 97
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 97, error -71
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 98
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 98, error -71
ndiswrapper version 1.51 loaded (smp=yes, preempt=no)
usbcore: registered new driver ndiswrapper
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 99
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 100
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: device descriptor read/64, error -71
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 101
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 101, error -71
usb 1-1: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 102
usb 1-1: device not accepting address 102, error -71
debian:~#

I guess that info is useless, but it shows that Linux can see something is being plugged into the usb port though it can't distinguish what it is. What's the solution to this problem?

SKYPE:	fakie_flip
AIM:	good bye300
IRC:	linux_user400354
LQ FORUMS: fakie_flp