[SATLUG] DVD transcoding with a slight twist.

FIRESTORM_v1 firestorm.v1 at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 00:00:15 CST 2008

Good afternoon all:

I got a bit of a challenge for you.  I recently purchased a Cyberlink
Mini-DVD player with expectation to hack it up, but after checking the
device out and running it through a bunch of "testing" (no, no chainsaw) I
couldn't bring myself to hack it up and have instead decided to purchase
another one to hack leaving the first one in it's original state and fully
functional.

Now for the problem:

I am wanting to transcode some of my DVDs that i *legally* own to the
minidisc format. (the 1.4GB discs).  There used to be a process somewhere
that I could take my DVD and transcode the the main feature into a single
AVI.  What I am looking for is an application that I can use to transcode
the video into several smaller AVIs to fit onto a series of mini DVDs.

The catch here is that I also have some box sets (firefly, futurama, etc)
that I would like to transcode expecting to get only two or three episodes
per disc.

Once I get the files to AVI, I can generate my own menu structures and press
the DVD, it's getting them from the unencrypted VOB files to AVI (or MPEG)
files is the trick I don't remember.

And of course, I'd like to do it in Linux. :)

AND...

a tip to those of you that subscribe to digital cable and have a motorola
high definition settop (either DCT5100 or DCT6200) depending on your
settop's firmware and your cable company, you can use the firewire port to
stream/encode whatever the DCT is watching on the fly.  I tested this on
Windows, and I'm pretty sure it's a ton easier in Linux.

Thanks for your suggestions!

FIRESTORM_v1