[SATLUG] DVD transcoding with a slight twist.

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 00:27:46 CST 2008

On Feb 16, 2008 10:00 PM, FIRESTORM_v1 <firestorm.v1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am wanting to transcode some of my DVDs that i *legally* own to the
> minidisc format. (the 1.4GB discs).  There used to be a process somewhere
> that I could take my DVD and transcode the the main feature into a single
> AVI.  What I am looking for is an application that I can use to transcode
> the video into several smaller AVIs to fit onto a series of mini DVDs.

dvdrip does this.

> The catch here is that I also have some box sets (firefly, futurama, etc)
> that I would like to transcode expecting to get only two or three episodes
> per disc.

I don't see the "catch" :-)  However, trying to compress to a
constricted medium usually results in unsatisfactory files...

> Once I get the files to AVI, I can generate my own menu structures and press
> the DVD, it's getting them from the unencrypted VOB files to AVI (or MPEG)
> files is the trick I don't remember.

Most DVD players don't support AVI and menus (which is not really a
format, just a container -- you probably mean MPEG4).  If you legally
purchased these, getting the data off the encrypted DVDs relies on
libdvdcss.  Transcoding them down can be done with ffmpeg, mencoder,
dvdrip, others...
Kristian Erik Hermansen
"It has been just so in all my inventions. The first step is an
intuition--and comes with a burst, then difficulties arise. This thing
gives out and then that--'Bugs'--as such little faults and
difficulties are called--show themselves and months of anxious
watching, study and labor are requisite before commercial success--or
failure--is certainly reached" -- Thomas Edison in a letter to
Theodore Puskas on November 18, 1878