[SATLUG] DVD transcoding with a slight twist.

Kristian Erik Hermansen kristian.hermansen at gmail.com
Sun Feb 17 00:27:46 CST 2008

On Feb 16, 2008 10:00 PM, FIRESTORM_v1 <firestorm.v1 at gmail.com> wrote:
> I am wanting to transcode some of my DVDs that i *legally* own to the
> minidisc format. (the 1.4GB discs).  There used to be a process somewhere
> that I could take my DVD and transcode the the main feature into a single
> AVI.  What I am looking for is an application that I can use to transcode
> the video into several smaller AVIs to fit onto a series of mini DVDs.

dvdrip does this.

> The catch here is that I also have some box sets (firefly, futurama, etc)
> that I would like to transcode expecting to get only two or three episodes
> per disc.

I don't see the "catch" :-)  However, trying to compress to a
constricted medium usually results in unsatisfactory files...

> Once I get the files to AVI, I can generate my own menu structures and press
> the DVD, it's getting them from the unencrypted VOB files to AVI (or MPEG)
> files is the trick I don't remember.

Most DVD players don't support AVI and menus (which is not really a
format, just a container -- you probably mean MPEG4).  If you legally
purchased these, getting the data off the encrypted DVDs relies on
libdvdcss.  Transcoding them down can be done with ffmpeg, mencoder,
dvdrip, others...
--
Kristian Erik Hermansen