[SATLUG] GUI direct-to-modem app & changing available res

Borries Demeler demeler at biochem.uthscsa.edu
Mon Feb 18 08:23:31 CST 2008

> I am looking for an app that will allow me to talk directly to my modem.  No PPP or anything. I just want to send and receive to the modem, like in the days of telix, procomm, BBS days.  I am going to leave the system to get caller-id stuff from the modem.  The simpler the better.  I am running Ubuntu 5.04 Live cd until I can figure out what is wrong with my system to get it running normal again.

You want to use either seyon (X app) or minicom. I'm not sure if they are part of Ubuntu,
I am using slackware, and both apps come with it. minicom is very similar to telix or procomm,
but it is not an x-app, which means you can run it from a terminal text screen or
under X from an xterm. Just type minicom at the command line and see if it comes up.

> I forgot to set the correct screen resolution that I wanted on system startup.  Can this be changed without a system restart or is there some magic that the more experienced know about?

You can edit /etc/X11/xorg.conf and enter all possible resolutions for your
screen. You make this change in the "Screen" section, and edit the
SubSection "Display" and put something similar to this in there:

        SubSection "Display"
                Viewport   0 0
                Depth     24
                Modes    "1600x1200" "1280x1024" "1024x768" "640x480"

Then you need to restart X (but no need to reboot). After that, you
you don't have any open apps or you will lose the data.

Regards, -Borries